Friday 3 February 2012

illustrating Edward Lear's nonsense


When I'm given a selection of briefs to chose from, I always struggle to choose one, so this time, I took the plunge and went for an illustration brief - something I'm not that experienced in. The brief required us to illustrate a selection of our choice from The Book of Nonsense by Edward Lear. Most people opted to illustrate a handful of Lear's rhymes, but I chose to focus on his nonsense botany.

Taking the angle that my illustrations would form a gift set aimed at adults, I took another big step (for me) and decided I would screen print them - after my first (and only) previous and unsuccessful attempt at it, I was feeling a little anxious to say the least.

BUT, I think my decisions have paid off and I'm actually rather pleased with the outcome - particularly after telling my whole group that it was impossible for me to make a box of any sort.

So I have now found a love for screen printing, and even got a few sheets of make-shift newsprint wrapping paper to take away from it!
















No comments:

Post a Comment